Chopped Liver - A Community for Live Organ Donors and Recipients

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Did You Know?

John M wrote to tell me that as he was reading Chopped Liver, the word "Prometheus" inexplicably popped into his head. He looked it up, and discovered that his brain had made a subconscious connection:

"Aside from being a rebel god punished for: 1) creating humans in the image of gods, and then 2) providing humans with the gift of fire, he was banished by Zeus to a place where his liver was eaten each day, and then healed every night. In the medical community, the Prometheus System is sometimes used as part of liver dialysis.

"In fact, Rockefeller Center is a virtual shrine to Prometheus. According to Wikipedia, the golden statue of Prometheus stands at the head of the central fountain..."

Upon further exploration, I learned that Prometheus' liver was eaten specifically by an eagle, as depicted in this 1868 painting by Gustave Moreau. I suppose a hungry eagle would hurt far worse than a Bard sampler. Consider my blessings counted.

4 Comments:

  • You must be a very special person to undergo two (count them ~ 2) probes and biopsy samples, and be able to write about it with such humor and grace!
    M.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:50 PM  

  • Becky, I had an interesting thought as I read the bit about your scar being the shape of a Mercedes Benz symbol. Have you given any thought to the fact that you and Joe will forever carry your grandmother's initial? For anyone reading this, my mother's name was Mercedes and she was a very warm and wonderful person who had a very positive influence on me and my family and everyone else who knew her. Although she is no longer with us physically, I'm sure she is aware of your great loving gesture and you can be sure she will be with you and Joe throughout the entire ordeal and for the rest of your lives. You make us proud!/Dad

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:52 PM  

  • And with that, I have just recieved the coolest comment that has ever been posted on a blog. And the first one that made me cry. I love my Dad!! And he's so right about Grandma. You BET I'd though about her when I realized I might have a Mercedes symbol on my body for the rest of my life! Now I just need a Florence symbol, too, right Mom?

    Beck

    By Blogger Becky, at 9:03 PM  

  • You ROCK Becky! I am so honored to know you and wish you the best of luck!!
    Luv Ya,
    Heidi

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

This site is a member of WebRing.
To browse visit Here.