Chopped Liver - A Community for Live Organ Donors and Recipients

Monday, January 30, 2006

Knit one, purl two, America!

During WWII, men and women on the U.S. homefront were urged to knit sweaters and socks for soldiers to support the war effort, spurred on by American Red Cross campaigns, college sorority drives, and well-planted media stories to teach the craft.

In support of my own little war against boredom, I learned to knit just before the transplant surgery. My plan was to knit a warm, cozy, fluffy blanket during my convalescence, as a way to both pass the time and create a lasting commemorative keepsake that I could pass on to my kids--or even better, to Joe's--someday.

With the help and advice of patient Michelle H. and the equally patient staff at the Yarn Cafe, I set myself up with all the supplies I'd need for my project. Baby alpaca wool in red with some pink and pale green undertones. I'm happy to say tonight that it's coming along swimmingly! Of the six six-foot-long panels, two are done!

So no, it's not Operations Management homework, or the latest and greatest corporate travel proposal for Global Conglomerates R Us, but I'm contributing! Take that, al-Zawahiri!

4 Comments:

  • I didn't know you were on the cover of Life Magazine!

    ;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:24 AM  

  • Becky - does this mean that you will knit our summer soccer uniforms??? ... your captain ...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:52 AM  

  • DON'T FORGET THE BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    MARY CAREY

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:53 PM  

  • WOW, do I feel like a schmuck! I've been working on a simple little red scarf for, um, embarassingly a month or more and still have yet to get it done. And here you have had surgery, been out for less than a week and are already done with 1/3 of a blanket! :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

This site is a member of WebRing.
To browse visit Here.