Chopped Liver - A Community for Live Organ Donors and Recipients

Monday, October 29, 2007

"Sick Girl" author speaks on the impact of her book

You may have heard buzz about a new memoir called Sick Girl, in which heart transplant recipient Amy Silverstein describes the ongoing difficulties of post-transplant life and chronicles her struggles as she attempted to hide her lingering pain and suffering from her friends and family in an effort to appear "normal." Several reviewers and pundits have criticized the book, saying that it may dissuade people from getting the life-saving transplants they need, and that it might deter potential organ donors from becoming donors.

Today CNN offers a short video interview with Amy, in which she explains the true message of her book and elegantly addresses the critics head on, saying she thinks: "Anyone who really reads my book will see that I have been given life, and post-transplant I finished law school. I became a mother. I got married. I'm a sister, I'm a daughter, I'm a friend, I'm a community member. I am living, and I'm living for one reason only, and that is that donated organ. And I think that's quite clear in the book."

Worthy of a read, perhaps. If any one has read it send your thoughts in comments!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

This site is a member of WebRing.
To browse visit Here.