Chopped Liver - A Community for Live Organ Donors and Recipients

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Seeking a donor or want to donate? Try this...

In looking for ideas to pass to Mina (see post below), I came across a site called MatchingDonors.com, which, as the name obviously suggests, aims to match people who need a live donor with people who are altruistically willing to donate an organ to a stranger. After reviewing it thoroughly (it appears not only legitimate, but rather awe-inspiring and professional), I am adding a perma-link to the resources section at right.

[UPDATE 7 February '07:] With further exploration I learned that this site charges would-be recipients a large sum ($600 ) to post an "organ wanted" listing on the site. I was prepared to blog about that -- as a business student and strategist it irks me that MatchingDonors' business model (as a non-profit, no less) relies upon the people it is serving to pay for its operating expenses. But then I read the comment from Angie, who pointed out that Medicare may cover the listing costs and also that the organization can work with people who can't afford the hefty fee. I'm not sure how I feel about the concept, frankly, but as always I'm here to keep everyone as informed as I can, and let you judge for yourselves. Thanks for the comments, Angie!

4 Comments:

  • In the US you can get Medicare to pay for the $600 (approx.) fee. (check site for exact fees).

    I am in Canada and the owner who emailed me tried to work with me. The site says if you are poor they wave the fee but that is not exactly accurate. SOMEONE has to pay. MatchingDonors does demand their money. After all it is a business they run. But they were willing to go as cheap as $40 per month (depends on circumstance and where you live I think. So don't expect the same rate).

    I am still leary but you all have to make your own decisions.

    One thing I would like to point out, please inform any of your donors about the long term risks. There are no long term studies done but it is very easy to lose a kidney and when you donate you only have one. Donors should NEVER SMOKE, never get hit in the lower back, never sit on cold surfaces, never have high blood pressure or eat an over abundance of salt. Also watch fatty foods and take care of your vascular system.

    Of course mind you I am only talking about kidneys.

    Someone else would have to make a comment on liver but all I can say is tell them not to drink a lot of alcohol.

    At least with a liver you can donate a piece and it will grow back!

    - Angie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:49 AM  

  • I don't know what happened with you, but I talked with MatchingDonors last Monday, told them my father had no money, and he got on for free.
    I understand that not everyone deserves to be free, because not everyone is without money.

    But, I am already getting people offering my father to donate a kidney to them-free of charge.
    Thanks MatchingDonors for everything.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:20 PM  

  • Hi:

    I just wanted you to know that the Matching Donors.com site is how I found a Mother in need of a kidney this past Mother's Day. After months of testing and some hurdles to jump regarding insurance, we had the transplant this past November 14, 2006.

    I was appalled to find out that the site charged so much money for someone to post thier message of need, but looking back it certainally was a small price to pay for my recipient's new kidney.

    All's well with our story. Thanks.

    Eddie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:12 AM  

  • Hi, Eddie and the anonymous commenter, thank you for your feedback on MatchingDonors. It's really good to hear different perspectives about the site, and make your thoughts available to the community on this blog -- I appreciate it, but more than anything, I'm happy to hear that it did work (or is, perhaps, working) for you.

    By Blogger Becky, at 10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

This site is a member of WebRing.
To browse visit Here.