Chopped Liver - A Community for Live Organ Donors and Recipients

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Meet Mike - in amazing photographic detail

Thanks to a reader named Christian, I just received the kind of hook-up that I live for when it comes to Chopped Liver and my upcoming project for the new Web site. His brother, Mike, recently donated for a baby named Evan at UCLA, and like me Mike chronicled the event on his personal Web site - albeit one that's much more tech-savvy than my own. (Yea, Firefox!)

And get this.... Mike got permission to have someone take pictures during the surgery, and he has posted them on his site. They're phenomenal in quality and in detail, and unlike anything I've ever seen. Apparently, they're unlike anything that many people have ever seen, including transplant coordinators and others who help donors like us daily but aren't actually in the operating room. I highly encourage you to check them out, but beware if you're squeamish. (If you made it through the Body Worlds exhibit, these pics will be a piece of cake. )

As you look at these, note that Mike's surgery was different from mine in that they gave him the full "Mercedes logo" treatment (in which the incision is like a large upside down capital "Y". In my case, they did most of the work through a scope entered through my belly button -- my pictures would have been relatively boring compared to these -- and then just made a straight-line incision down the center of my torso for the act of removing the donated liver piece. Mike's treatment is the more common, as I understand it, and his resulting scar looks just like my brother's.

Thanks so much, Christian, for connecting us to Mike's site. My best wishes for both Mike and Evan's ongoing recovery and health.

3 Comments:

  • Wow Becky. thanks for this post. I've visited this Mike's site, and found it so interesting.

    I had some momentary confusion about the identity of this Mike, as opposed to the other wonderful liver donor Mike who saved baby Kailey. Nothing that more thorough reading didn't clear up.

    You donor people are inspiring. I hope the word spreads!

    By Blogger L, at 11:13 PM  

  • We are all very proud of Mike! Evan is his nephew, and everyone is recovering great!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:13 AM  

  • Becky,
    I didn't get the go ahead on being a liver donor. I found out I have a disorder called Hemochromotosis. Too much iron in the blood. It's was really disappointing to say the least. But I have continued to stay the course on the blog and as I was branded early on, I am still the "crusader" for organ donation.

    By Blogger causaleffect, at 8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

This site is a member of WebRing.
To browse visit Here.