Chopped Liver - A Community for Live Organ Donors and Recipients

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Meanwhile, back at my old NMH stomping grounds...

Hey, everyone, I'm happy to introduce you to Samantha, the first Chopped Liver reader to write to me who will become a live donor at the same transplant center as me! In October, she and her dad will walk the same halls of Northwestern Memorial Hospital that Joe and I did, hop into the same ugly backless gowns and onto the same gurneys, maybe even get wheeled into the same lucky adjoining rooms, to undergo the same surgery Joe and I did exactly nine months previously. I'm sure they'll even have the same surgeons we did. (Samantha and I haven't dished yet about whether she's as smitten with the handsome Dr. K. as I am.)

Samantha's dad has cirrhosis caused by years of taking antibiotics to combat colitis. Live transplant is, at this point, his only option. With a few weeks yet to wait, if she's anything like me, Samantha could use some entertaining diversions to keep her mind off of the slowly moving turning of the earth, so if you've got a good joke or fun link (keep it clean, now -- Chopped Liver is a family site!) leave it in comments for her. (Don't forget, they won't show up until I approve them, due to comment spammers.)

I'll start:
Top Ten Things You Don't Want to Hear During Surgery:

10. Hey, if that's his spleen, then what's this I'm holding?
9. Could someone stop that red thing from beating? It's throwing off my concentration.
8. No one move... I think I just lost a contact lens.
7. Wait, this isn't a sex change operation?
6. Nurse, hand me that, um, uh, thingie.
5. Don't worry. I saw Dr. Kovach do this same operation on ER last week so I know how exactly how to do it.
4. And, that's the last stitch... hey, wait, where's my scalpel?
3. Someone call the janitor. We're going to need a mop.
2. "Accept this sacrifice, o Great Lord of Darkness!"
1. Nurse, more anesthesia please -- ahem, not for the patient, for me!

Welcome Samantha, and good luck these next few weeks to you and your dad. Say hi to Lori and the gang for me.

9 Comments:

  • Another thing you don't want to hear during surgery: "Oops!"

    Yep, I said that while I was stitching up my first patient. He wasn't to happy with me.

    Joe, M.D., doting brother of the beautiful blogger Becky and a big fan of alliteration.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:43 PM  

  • Everyone can use a healthy dose of celebrity gossip when they're about to undergo major surgery...right?

    www.wwtdd.com
    www.popsugar.com
    www.gawker.com
    www.perezhilton.com

    Yep, I think I've done my good deed for the day.

    By Blogger m, at 7:59 AM  

  • Hi Becky,
    I'm only halfway through reading your blog, but I just wanted to leave a comment. I'm astonished at your positivity, and your writing is an absolute pleasure. What a fresh approach. I came quite close to being a live donor for my baby girl in 2004, but she received the gift of a liver just in time. She is now 3, and so very healthy. Congratulations on what you have done, on your blog, on everything! Regards from Australia, Lynne

    By Blogger L, at 9:09 PM  

  • Hi, Lynne -- I'm trilled you found Chopped Liver and that you wrote! I'm happy that Rose is healthy too! I've been learning a little about biliary atresia, a frustrating disease. What a blessing that she got her transplant. Keep reading and stay in touch!

    By Blogger Becky, at 10:37 PM  

  • From Samantha's dad:

    I don't have a tag. Some day maybe.

    Delighted to see Sam joining in. But a correction: I have PSC like Joe. Colitis, which is also there, you know, is in a totally diffent place.

    Sam's transplant won't fix that. Anyone for another transplant?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:57 PM  

  • Ah yes, there is no substitute for a good ole' colostomy bag, right?

    Thanks, Dale, for writing to clarify - I know Joe will want to see that you have PSC like him -- it's been frustrating because of how rare it is, making it hard to find sufficient info and patient experiences to compare to. Joe has ulcerative colitis, too, that will continue to cause trouble. It's such a cruel one-two punch, I know.

    You're in my thoughts and all of us in the Chopped Liver community are pulling for you both!

    By Blogger Becky, at 10:31 AM  

  • Thanks again, Becky, for your sense of humor! And Mindy celebrity gossip pages. Personally, I hope I don't hear anything, they can put me out for pre-op fun stuff, too! Embarrassing that I didn't get my Dad's ailment right. But I got the really important part down. Liver. Chop. Transplant. Me. Dad. October 18th.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:57 PM  

  • Give it time, Samantha. You'll be spouting off words like "biliary stenosis" with ease in no time!

    By Blogger Becky, at 4:57 PM  

  • Good Luck Samantha! I hope that all goes well for you and your father. I am also going to donate to my father and we are scheduled for Nov. 1 there at Northwestern so we will be couple of weeks behind you. Save me some meds!

    Love your sense of humor Becky!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

This site is a member of WebRing.
To browse visit Here.