Chopped Liver - A Community for Live Organ Donors and Recipients

Friday, August 18, 2006

Little livers and big, big hearts

As if the idea of life-or-death transplant needs weren't sad enough, it's downright heart-wrenching when you hear about liver disease in little kids. That's been on my mind a lot lately, but thankfully the news I have been hearing is more positive than negative.

First, I heard from a bold young man who wrote from Canada to tell me he's getting tested to donate for a 10-month-old infant he read about in the newspaper. I am motivated and inspired when I hear of and from people who are generous enough to even look into donating for a stranger. Thanks for writing.

Then, hope came in the form of a phone call to my co-workers' family, whose two adorables, Kyle and Sami, are afflicted by Alpha 1 Antitrypsin Deficiency. Kyle had already had his transplant, but Sami was awaiting hers. And then late on Wednesday, the night before Kyle was scheduled for a follow-up surgery, a liver became available for Sami. Both kids had surgeries early that morning, and both are doing well! Shannon and family, you're all in my thoughts and prayers!

3 Comments:

  • How weird is it that I follow Sami and Kyle's progress on a liver support website? Check it out at www.liverfamilies.net...it's an awesome place to be, and to read inspiring stories about all of the kids facing liver disease and transplants.

    Hope your brother is doing well.

    By Blogger Laurie, at 8:49 PM  

  • Becky, I just found your blog. I know Sami and Kyle and I myself received a liver transplant 18yrs ago. I will be back to read more.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:48 PM  

  • You're awesome, Becky!

    By Blogger m, at 8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

This site is a member of WebRing.
To browse visit Here.