Chopped Liver - A Community for Live Organ Donors and Recipients

Friday, June 16, 2006

Laughing through the pain with Ricky Gervais

Many of you have asked about Joe -- we're grateful for your concern and kind thoughts. When I left him in Chicago earlier this week, he was in pain but seemed to be steadily improving, and we had a great time laughing our way through season one of the British version of The Office and the newly released season one of Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist. More important, Joe's long-term prognosis is still good, and there is no rejection going on.

I've learned more technical detail about the complications he experienced: hepatic artery stenosis and associated biliary stricture. In English, that means the hepatic artery (which is the primary supply of blood to the liver) collapsed, I think at the point where my piece of artery was sewn to his during the transplant. And then, as is frequently the case, that somehow caused the bile duct (which drains bile from the liver) to collapse, also at the point where mine was sewn to his. If you're feeling adventurous or if you're a scientific nerdy type, you might enjoy reading some of the many scientific articles published on the subject.

Joe's arterial stricture was solved with a stent, and a bile drain tube is currently propping open the bile duct. In both cases, Joe's tubes will heal and remain open independently. Then he's back on his way. And on to season two.

3 Comments:

  • I stumbled across your blog a few weeks ago, and have been catching up on reading all of your entries.

    Two years ago, my husband donated a portion of his liver to our (then) three-month old son. Today, both of them are doing wonderfully. Anthony, my son, is in great health (after a rocky first year) and takes only his anti-rejection medicine. My husband recovered fully and is doing great, too!

    I'm glad I've found your site. Now, back to my reading!

    By Blogger Laurie, at 5:53 AM  

  • Laurie, I'm so glad you left a comment -- congratulations to all of you on the recovery and especially on Anthony's health!

    By Blogger Becky, at 12:24 AM  

  • I think you should watch the American version with Steve Carrell...THAT is one funny dude.

    By Blogger m, at 12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

This site is a member of WebRing.
To browse visit Here.