Chopped Liver - A Community for Live Organ Donors and Recipients

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Meet Joe's hairy tongue

Meet Joe's hairy tongue, the latest in an undeserved slew of unfortunate complications and ailments related to PSC and the transplant. Hairy tongue, says the omniscient physician known as Google, is "a commonly observed condition of defective desquamation of the filiform papillae." In plain English, says Joe (who is a real-live doctor, mind you): Hairy tongue is, well, when your tongue gets hairy. It's caused in some people by poor hygiene, and in others by a prolonged soft-food diet that causes your tongue not to get naturally scraped by rougher foods. In Joe's case, the culprits are the immune suppressants, the lack of a regular diet, the bazillion drugs he takes, and so on and so on and who knows. Like collapsed bile ducts, it's treatable, God love it. And I gotta hand it to Joe, he's laughing about it. For that matter, so was I, once I saw this picture of an actual inflicted tongue cell, magnified 150,000X under the finest scientific equipment. It's so ironic that it looks just like Gene Simmons.

(P.S. If you do yourself NO other favors today, do this for yourself: AVOID searching for the phrase "hairy tongue" on Google images. You will thank me.)

4 Comments:

  • Comment spammers suck. I have to go back to approving comments, friends. Please keep leaving them for me, though -- unless you're a SPAMMER!!!

    By Blogger Becky, at 7:28 PM  

  • verrrry interesting!!!!!!!
    Terry

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:23 AM  

  • Argh!

    Reverse psychology, Becky: You warned. I looked.

    Anyway, tell your brother if he's gonna have the Gene Simmons tongue, he's got to put on the whole show -- the fire, the abs, the screaming groupies.

    (Oops - Did I say abs? I meant pyrotechnics.)

    -- Alex

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:25 AM  

  • What I take offense with is the insiunation that hairy tongue is the result of poor oral hygeine. Oh, I brush baby and now I'm gagging myself every night trying to dental floss the back of my tongue. I also mouthwash daily and have taken Crest Whitening Strips in the past. So come on, who wants to give me a big wet tongue lashing kiss! Anyone...?.....hello?........hmmm.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

This site is a member of WebRing.
To browse visit Here.