Chopped Liver - A Community for Live Organ Donors and Recipients

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Giving it up for a stranger

I'm in touch with a young man who has made the monumental decision to donate a portion of his liver to a young child who is a total stranger to him, after learning that he was the only one out of hundreds who was a match and a qualified healthy candidate.

Because the child's case has garnered much media attention, he's lying low until the surgery next week, and I'm respectfully keeping his identity anonymous -- but I want you all to know about him. Those of you who are prayers, go crazy for him. Those of you who throw good energy vibes, toss 'em up. And if you're him, well, know that I and your fellow Chopped Liver readers are wishing you the very best of luck and courage.

The idea of donating for strangers so inspired me that I decided it was time I learned how to add a readers' poll to this blog. So without further adieu, I usher in the debut of the Chopped Liver poll:
Update 9/17 -- the poll is closed but below are the results.

Would you donate a kidney or portion of your liver to a total stranger, if you learned you were a rare match?




5 Comments:

  • Way to go on the poll - both in creating it and the way it's worded.

    It's hard to know what you'd do if put in that kind of situation, but I have the utmost respect for this guy's generosity. I'm sure the child's parents are insanely grateful!

    By Blogger m, at 11:13 AM  

  • It's helpful to think about a question like this, so a person can respond more quickly if the opportunity presents itself. There is no right or wrong answer, by the way.

    It will be interesting to see the results of the poll.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:30 AM  

  • Anonymous is so right, and I should have said so in the intro to the poll. There is no wrong answer on that list!

    By Blogger Becky, at 2:21 PM  

  • I am being presented with this issue right now. My father in law is in need of a liver transplant and so far, I am so a blood type match. He has an appointment today and the results (later this week) will determine if he can go ahead with a transplant. If he get's the green light, I will go ahead with the process to determine if I am a match for him. If I am not, I need to determine if I am willing to go ahead with donating to a stranger. Right now, it's a yes. But I haven't talked to my family about it.

    By Blogger causaleffect, at 12:34 PM  

  • Interesting, causaleffect! By the time I had my biopsy -- the last step in determining whether I could donate for Joe -- I was certain I would do it for a stranger if I couldn't for him. What do you think it is? My thought is, it's not that hard a decision to make once you've tackled the hurdle of deciding you'll do it for a loved one.

    Good luck to you and your father in law!

    By Blogger Becky, at 1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

This site is a member of WebRing.
To browse visit Here.