Chopped Liver - A Community for Live Organ Donors and Recipients

Sunday, January 21, 2007

A big day for donors in the WSJ

It's remarkable on its own that Mark Foster saved his father's life with a liver donation -- but even more amazing is that he got ink (lots of it) on the front page of the Wall Street Journal this weekend. The in-depth story about his journey, "The High Price of Keeping Dad Alive," is accessible only if you buy the paper this weekend or if you are a subscriber to the Web site ($79-$99/year).

But God bless it, most of the Web is free free free, including Mark's outstanding blog, SaveFoster.com. I'm adding a perma-link in the "other blogs" list to the right. (I'm also adding a link to Josh Carpenter's blog. He's a PSC survivor and transplant recipient who gets to celebrate his first "transpliversary" in just a couple of months. )

Also, note that Mark encountered some financial hardship as a result of donating. (Now that his blog is front-page WSJ news, I presume his financial woes will soon be addressed by the sympathetic high-income readers, and definitely hope so!) It's worth pointing out that this is exactly why I want to launch the Greatest Gift Foundation -- to assist would-be donors financially so they can worry instead about what matters most: giving, healing, and moving on. I can't move fast enough but have so little time!

Thanks to McNarney and Amy Willis for pointing out the WSJ story.

3 Comments:

  • I just came across your blog...and I want to say thank you for promoting organ donation. I have always been a donor, but I never thought much about it until my child was born 3 1/2 years ago with a life threatening liver disease...Biliary Atresia. She was rapidly declining when she received the gift of life at the age of 7 months from a 17 year old girl (unfortunately it had to be a cadaveric donor). The power of organ donation saved my baby girl, and today she is a vibrant energetic, sassy 3 1/2 year old.

    By Blogger angie, at 2:16 PM  

  • I also just came across your blog. My sister in Florida sent me an article that was in the St. Pete Times. I think it was an excerpt of the WSJ article, which I have yet to see. Why did she send it to me......well, 20 months ago I donated part of my liver to my sister. I wish I had thought of blogging then. I have spent the last 20 months with lots of mixed emotions, mostly because I've had nobody to talk to that understood what it feels like to be on this side. I can wait to start at the beginning.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:41 PM  

  • Kim, feel free to email me any time. About blogging, about your experience as a past donor, anything. greatest-gift@hotmail.com. Thanks for leaving a comment!

    By Blogger Becky, at 2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

This site is a member of WebRing.
To browse visit Here.