Chopped Liver - A Community for Live Organ Donors and Recipients

Friday, December 02, 2005

IT'S A GO!!!

I am thrilled to report that I was accepted as Joe's donor today! Lorie, my friendly nurse practitioner, called me about an hour ago with the news. The biopsy results showed almost no fatty infiltration (my mockery must have sent poor, rotund Larry running for the hills), and gave the surgeons the last bit of detail they needed to clear me and schedule surgery.

Unfortunately, we have to wait until mid-January to do the operation. My veins are slightly dilated (a condition known as "mild sinusoidal dilation") due to some medication I had been taking until about three weeks ago. I need to have been off it for two months before they can do the transplant. That puts the surgery date on January 18, give or take a week based on surgeon availability. Lorie will give me the exact date early next week.

As for Joe (who makes his long-awaited Chopped Liver debut in a must-read comment in the previous entry), he's happy, I'm happy, we're all happy. This is the news we so badly wanted. Now we wait. And enjoy Christmas, to the extent we can with this hanging over our heads. I'll post by tomorrow a Q&A regarding what happens next.

9 Comments:

  • Excellent news!

    By Blogger Troy, at 1:44 PM  

  • Congrats! I can't wait to celebrate over a pre-donation pint! (You can still have a pint, can't you?)

    John

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:46 PM  

  • That is fantastic news!
    ~ Deanna

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:54 PM  

  • Larry ROCKS and so do YOU! Way to go Becky Homecki - what fantastic news!! Enjoy the moment and get some rest this weekend..... (Okay, okay, if you want to go out - call me!!!) Torgie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:09 PM  

  • This is fantastic news. I couldn't be more thrilled for you and your family.

    As I said before, anyone of your family who needs a place to stay, assistance of any kind etc while here is welcome at my home.

    Much love to Joe and you.

    Sheen

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:06 PM  

  • To Anonymous John: What are you doing Saturday night? Want to have "phone pint?"

    Call me.
    Bex

    By Blogger Becky, at 6:41 PM  

  • Is it just me, or does "phone pint" sound a little kinky?

    By Blogger Troy, at 5:02 PM  

  • Hi Becky and Joe - I'm so happy for you both! I received a liver transplant at New York University on Dec. 19, 2005 from a deceased donor. I was attempting to go the living donor route, but I got too sick, so it was no longer an option. I spent most of last December in the hospital, but was home by New Year's Eve. I was on about 40 pills a day upon release - mostly the anti-rejection steroids and supplements. I went back to work full time by end July and it's been smooth sailing. I'm now on just 7 or 8 pills a day as I approach the first anniversary of my re-birth.
    Check out my extensive site and blog at http://www.savedavid.org
    and email any questions you may have to djdavidbird@yahoo.com.

    All the best of luck and good wishes!

    By Blogger David Bird, at 7:51 PM  

  • MY PRAYERS, MY HUGS, MY LOVE FOR ALL OF YOU
    DONORS MEAN A LOT IN OUR LIVES.
    MARY CAREY

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

This site is a member of WebRing.
To browse visit Here.