Chopped Liver - A Community for Live Organ Donors and Recipients

Monday, January 09, 2006

The T-Day timeline

One week from today the action begins! I will post hospital contact information here once we have it next week. Here's a quick overview of the upcoming schedule of events, beginning three days from now:

Thursday: The send off party (see below).
Friday: I drop off Owen at the parrot-sitters, pack, and clean out perishables from the fridge. This will take hours. I'm not sure how one packs for liver removal.
Saturday: I drive to Des Moines.
Sunday: Joe, Mom, Dad, and I drive to Chicago.
Monday: At 8 a.m., Joe and I arrive at NMH for an outpatient day of pre-op festivities, including chest X-rays, blood work, and a long-awaited visit with our surgeons.
Tuesday: We wait, with nothing to do and nowhere to be. I suspect Scrabble will be involved. (100 bonus points for anyone who spells "hepatic.")
Wednesday, 6 a.m.: Joe and I check into NMH.
Wednesday, 10 a.m.: By now, we should both be in surgery. Joe's will last about 10 hours, and mine only six.
Wednesday, late evening.: My mom calls the main phone tree branches to send out the "all's well" news. Phone tree efficiency ensues.
Thursday: I wheel my doped-up self to a computer terminal to post a celebratory, first-hand account of the joy I'm feeling. Or maybe I just stay in bed, gaze upon all my pretty flowers and cards, and enjoy some calm, IV-induced dreams for a while.
Saturday, 1/21: I'm discharged, give or take a day, and I move to my brother's downtown Chicago apartment where my parents await.
Wednesday, 1/25: Joe is discharged, give or take a day or two, and joins us at his apartment.
Sometime thereafter: I return to Des Moines for some R&R under the loving care of my awesome Mom.
Sometime after that: I return to Minneapolis for more of the same, under the loving care of some terrific friends.
March 13: Back to work. Chopped what? Honestly, I really don't recall....

Thanks to everyone for your kind words, offers to help, prayers, and interest in our story. You are making this possible.

6 Comments:

  • I will be thinking of you and Joe!

    John

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:40 PM  

  • Thanks for sending me the link. At first I thought your picture looked eerily familiar but I couldn't remember why. Now I remember that I saw your picture on www.HOTORNOT.com ... congrats on the good score and good luck next week.

    Mike K

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:22 AM  

  • As the calendar flipped itself toward this day, you've been increasingly more prominent in my thoughts and prayers. Is it coincidence that the January 10th entry in my book "Earth From Above: 365 Days" features the Okavango River in Botswana? Not sure if you and Helen made it to this part of Africa, but it made me go "Hmmmmm." Which makes me think of the 1989 song "Things That Make You Go Hmmmm." Was it D.J. Jazzy Jeff? Will "Fresh Prince" Smith? M.C. Hammer? I'll have to go through my K-Swiss shoebox of cassette tapes and see. . .

    I love you Beck! Enjoy a drip of Morphine for me!

    Reed

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:02 PM  

  • Good luck with everything!!! Mom and Dad have been keeping me updtaed on all of the events. Your cousin Brian

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:32 PM  

  • It was C + C Music Factory, Reed.

    Becky, it was fun seeing you on New Year's at Jamey & Julie's. Best wishes!

    Marty H.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:22 PM  

  • I'll be thinking of you!
    Be strong and enjoy the R&R!

    Alisa

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

This site is a member of WebRing.
To browse visit Here.