Chopped Liver - A Community for Live Organ Donors and Recipients

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Welcome to Year 33!

Happy New Year! Many of you know that since 1995 I have named each new year as it begins, marking the occasion with an essay about where I currently stand and what I think is in store for the 365 days ahead. Yesterday, the Year of the Vertical Climb ended, and a very important year began. I'm struggling with this year's essay, because unlike every other year, 2006 has had its name set in stone since I began the project, and it's one that I have eagerly anticipated for ages. It's the only year that I've ever named in advance, and it chose me, not the other way around. It is Year 33: The year I turn 33. The number 33 has been signaling to me that 2006 would be momentous for as long as I can remember taking the time to notice it. Is it coincidence, then, that I begin Year 33 with such a monumental and life-altering act as this liver donation? I guarantee, I had no idea it would be a life-giving surgery. But I knew it would be something. It is my good fortune that the "something" is so stunningly beautiful.

The only thing to remain, then is to give Year 33 a subtitle, and I've chosen something that feels strong and apropos. Welcome, friends, to Year 33, the Year of the Greatest Gift. Take the title as liberally and widely as your spirit lets you. I do.

And thank you all for your on going support!

4 Comments:

  • When someone gives a real gift such as this, it lifts all of us up; brings hope and inspiration that we, too, can give the gift of ourselves.
    1 proud Mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:29 PM  

  • Really hoping you write, and post, the essay. Here's to the giver of the Greatest Gift; my glass is raised.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:00 AM  

  • I am going to talk to the dr's next week to see if I will be the liver donor for my sister. We live far apart I'm in south MS. she is in ME. I have been enjoying this blog. You are an inspiration to me.
    Thanks for the public journal :) :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:54 AM  

  • Wow. Congratulations and good luck with these trying but rewarding next steps. If you ever want to talk more feel free to email me (the link is on my profile page). This experience can be overwhelming at times but there's strength in numbers -- and as you'll see from all the wonderful posts from my friends and family, in the day to day support you'll get. All my best to you and your family!!

    By Blogger Becky, at 2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

This site is a member of WebRing.
To browse visit Here.