Chopped Liver - A Community for Live Organ Donors and Recipients

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Wow and amaze your friends

While we wait for the big day, I leave you with some trivia tidbits sure to increase your social status at cocktail parties.

* The liver is the body's largest solid organ and largest gland.
* It weighs about 3.5 pounds.
* It's approximately 8" x 6.5" x 4.5", for a total of 234 cubic inches -- equivalent to just over a gallon.
*
On this day in 1870, the Democratic donkey made its debut, in a Harper's Weekly cartoon. (Hey, even I need to get out of liver mode every now and then.)

3 Comments:

  • hey Becky thanks for the tidbits it puts a new light on my liver size. I'm back from Boston and the first set of test done. Now waiting for the results to see if I will be the donor. Glad to see you are in good spirits. Keeping you and brother in my prayers.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:46 PM  

  • Becky:

    From your cousin the Doc in FL, God bless both you and Joe. I will pray for you both.

    Be sure and ask for an epidural for post-op pain management, it is the best way to go!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:10 AM  

  • Hey, duly noted! (Folks, Patrick's an anesthesiologist, so he knows of what he speaks.)

    They told me yesterday I get to manage my own pain meds with a little pump, which I can press as often as I want (but it will only administer meds every 10 minutes). They track my number of pumps, and if I try pumping several times during a 10-minute interval, they know they need to increase the dosage. But they said women tend to grin and bear it more than men. Ha!

    By Blogger Becky, at 11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

This site is a member of WebRing.
To browse visit Here.